Featured Post

There’s Poison in the Spring — A Memoir

  This memoir is a work of nonfiction. Although creative language is used throughout, special attention has been given to details and facts....

Stronger Than Yesterday


 My son's mom had a saying. To remind herself of holes she'd climbed out of, if you asked her how she was doing, she'd respond, "Stronger than yesterday." I think about that a lot.  She also had a tattoo of an anchor behind her right ear - representing stability, which is something I've rarely ever known. That's why there's also a compass in the drawing - so many misdirections and misguided decisions. An hourglass for patience to make it through the flames. A wall clock to remind me that life goes on, with or without me. Seaweed, the tangles/snares of life. The seductress, my obsessions.  And even she wears an anchor, because she too just wants to find something solid and stable in her life. The drawing is intentionally left unfinished. If it were to be finished, then how could I be stronger than yesterday when tomorrow comes?

No comments:

Post a Comment